Tuesday, February 21, 2006

 

Kaua'i downpour and update

Tuesday 21 Feb

Well I've been here in Hawaii for about 12 days now. I started on Oahu which was great but could have been any beach destination in Europe - there was nothing uniquely Hawaiian about it.

Then I spent the last week on the Big Island of Hawaii which was better. I went snorkelling at the Captain Cook monument and the Place of Refuge and hopefully got some great photos - I'll post those when I get them developed. Then I went on to the volcano, Kilauea, where I spent a couple of nights, driving and walking around the caldera, and also going down the Chain of Craters road to see the lava going into the sea - it looked great but I don't think my photos are going to come out very well - my flash just doesn't work over a mile and it was really difficult to pick up the orange glow. I then spent a couple of days in Hilo, another town on the east coast which was nice and quaint but completely dead - Volcano wasn't exactly the most happening place, but it had a good vibe to it - Hilo just felt so slow. If I went back to the Big Island (and I fully hope to do so sometime), Volcano would be the place I would go back to.

Yesterday I flew in to Kauai - where it has been raining non-stop since I got here. I was supposed to go out on a helicopter tour this morning but that was cancelled. This afternoon I'm going on a boat ride up the Na Pali Coast, which should be spectacular, except I really don't think it's going to stop raining...

The hostel I'm staying at on Kauai is pretty open air. One side of the room has no windows in the window spaces, and half my bedding is damp! Ah well, how often do I get to sleep like this? It's actually pretty cool though and the people are nice. Actually, I haven't met a horrible or rude person the entire time I've been out here.

I'm not actually sure what I'm going to do tomorrow if I can't get an alternative slot with a helicopter company... and it's raining so hard that it's difficult to see to drive sometimes...

Thursday I'm off to Maui which will hopefully be rather drier.

Suz xx

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?