Thursday, March 02, 2006

 

Onward from Maui

Thursday 2 March 06

You'll be glad to know that my ar$e is recovering nicely. Ditto my shoulders, back, legs...

I took it easy yesterday. I did a little shopping in the morning, and then went whale watching in the afternoon. We saw so many whales I couldn't believe it, but apparently if you drained the water, you'd have 1,000 whales in your view at any one time. We saw two main pods, both of competition whales - i.e. a group of about 8 male whales competing for the love of one woman. Oh to be a whale...! They were butting heads, diving down, slapping their fins - it was really great and this time I got some really good pictures. I'm going to get all my pictures put onto disc when I get to Oahu (flying there tomorrow) so will be able to post a load then. Afterwards, I did a little more shopping before heading back for a thai takeaway. There's a thai restaurant just over the road from the hostel I'm staying at that does really good food. Pad Thai to die for.

Today I took a drive down the south west coast to see what was on down there. There were lots of nice beaches, and lots of posh hotels. I decided to drive back up to Lahaina and rent some snorkel gear and go snorkelling at Black Rocks. This is a small spot in Kaanapali at the Sheraton (the beach is public unfortunately for them) which has loads of fish, reef and the odd turtle who let me swim alongside him/her for a while before surfacing for air - they're really cute when they surface - just poking their heads out of the sea for a gulp of air. There are the few inevitable idiots who actually climb out on the black rocks and dive into the sea. I'm not sure what the accident rate is, but it must be pretty high because once the water gets say 5 feet deep, you can't see how deep it is and the rocks and reef are relatively shallow. I didn't stop to find out if they made it...

Tomorrow I fly back to Oahu to stay in Waikiki once again. I'd really like to stay in Hawaii for another 4 weeks but I don't think I could afford to change my flight to NZ at this stage...

Ah well, next time, as I said, I'll have pictures.

Suz xxx

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?