Wednesday, April 05, 2006

 

Nelson Ahoy

Just a quickie blog to let you all know what I've been up to.

I've spent the last two weeks in Wellington waiting for a tax number to come through so I could head on south and get some work for the winter. I had a great time in Wellington and met some lovely people, but staying there for two weeks was rather stretching things a bit.

I did pretty much all the tourist things there... I went to the top of Mount Victoria for a 360 degree view of the city, went up the cable car to the botanical gardens (... not that I actually made it into the botanical gardens... Wellington is the windy city and at the top of the cable car it was even more windy... so I made it as far as the restaurant for a beer...), went to the zoo... twice... the second time I went to feed the red pandas - they're sooooo cute and just crawled all over me to get their lunch... piccies soon I promise but I need to fill up my camera memory card a bit more first, met up with an old friend, went to the museum, to the cinema, to a few bars, to the rugby, and on a Lord of the Rings tour (brother - stuff coming your way from that one).

Anyways, my tax number came through on Monday so I said hasta la vista to Wellington and headed down to the south island on Tuesday. Given that the wind had been howling around and banging the window of my dorm room all night I really thought I was gonna toss my cookies on the ferry crossing, but it was so calm, and the views as it came into Picton were to die for.

So I'm now in Nelson which is a lovely little city with about 80,000 people.

Yesterday (Wednesday) I went up to Able Tasman National Park. We took a coach out to Kaiteri, and then a boat up to Torrent Bay, and walked about 12km back to Marahau. Bloody knackering. If that's an easy walk, I really am not ready to do the Tongariro Crossing...! Thank god there was a nice bar waiting for me at the end of it as for the entire last hour of the walk all I'd been seeing in front of me was a nice cold pint. You know in cartoons when people get really hungry they start seeing people as steaks or something? - I was like that but with beer. Heaven!

This morning (Thursday) I went on the skywire which is a wire suspended over a canyon, you sit in a cage-type thingy drop down about 150m across the canyon at about 100kph. See, I've not given up the adrenaline rush just yet.

I'll post more news when I have it. Hope everyone is well and taking care. Email me all your news!

Love Suz xx

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?